Study of Intravenous Administration of Allogeneic Adipose Stem Cells for COVID-19
a study on COVID-19
- for people ages 18-80 (full criteria)
- at UCSF
- study startedestimated completion
This study is designed rapidly assess safety and preliminary efficacy in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 respiratory distress to provide clinical guidance for possible wider use in treating patients in this pandemic environment. This data will be used for FDA IND filings and pursuit of a BLA.
COVID-19 Stem Cell Therapy: A Phase I Study of Intravenous Administration of Allogeneic Adipose Stem Cells
This study is single arm, non-randomized Phase 1 study of the safety and preliminary efficacy of PSC-04, an adipose-derived allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell. The outcome data will be compared to contemporaneous non-enrolled patients at the same clinical site(s) as the enrolled patients. Study Objectives: Primary: To evaluate the safety of intravenous infusion of allogeneic adipose stem cells in patients with COVID-19 disease and respiratory distress. Secondary: To evaluate a set of secondary safety and efficacy outcome variables to give guidance in assessing the risk/benefit ratio in patients with COVID-19 respiratory distress.
Covid19 adipose stem cell COVID-19 pneumonia PSC-04
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18-80
- Admitted to hospital as in-patient (ward or ICU)
- Respiratory distress - respiratory rate ≥ 30/minute (or PaO2:FiO2 <300)
- Bilateral lung infiltrates (CT or frontal X-ray)
- Supplemental oxygen started but NOT intubated or ventilated
- COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) antigen test positive (FDA-approved test);
- CDC confirmation not necessary
- Time from Enrollment to treatment must be less than 24 hours
- Age: 18-80 years
- Gender: any
- Suitability for cellular therapy: In the opinion of the Investigator or the Sponsor the patient is suitable for cellular therapy
- Cognitive function: Able to understand and willing to sign informed consent form or legally authorized representative or surrogate
You CAN'T join if...
- Intubation / ventilation
- Current therapy is working, and patient is clinically improving
- Disease Conditions: Heart failure severe (NY Heart Association Classification IV); Clinical evidence of left heart failure or volume overload as a primary explanation for the bilateral pulmonary infiltrates; Any disease or condition other than current respiratory COVID-19 disease for which 6-month mortality is estimated to be greater than 50%; Moderate to severe liver failure; Severe chronic respiratory disease or the use of home oxygen use prior to this current illness; Currently receiving extracorporeal life support (ECLS/ECMO)
- Past Disease Conditions: Any history of malignancy within the last 2 years (except for patients in remission or cured of the malignancy); Lung transplant patient or lobectomy; Deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism within past 3 months; History of splenectomy
- Other Experimental Conditions: Currently enrolled or treated in last 60 days in another clinical study
- Consent Issues: Do not resuscitate (DNR) order in place; Not willing to follow lung protective ventilation strategy, if needed
- Concurrent disease or circumstances that Investigator or Sponsor judges to be an unacceptable risk to patient health or a confounding variable to assessment or problem in completion of trial.
- Fresno Community Hospital
accepting new patients
Fresno California 93710 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc.
- Phase 1
- Study Type
- Last Updated